Among the many fashion revivals that won’t seem to let up is the crop top.
For those who are unschooled about it and are asking: What is a crop top? Simple. It’s a piece of garment (or undergarment) that’s cut short so it keeps the stomach area exposed. You might also wonder “What do you wear under a crop top?” And, you’ll definitely find the answer to that in our blog.
Wearing crop tops is back in vogue, and it’s been around (again) for quite some time now. In fact, history tells us that crop tops first came about in the 1930s and again in the 1940s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, early 2000s and just a few years back.
But who can blame the biggest fans of the best crop top outfits for loving this charming, youthful garment and fashion style? Today, both women and men (and everyone in between) across different age groups have been seen rocking the crop top whenever they’re after a fun, light summery casual look.
Another typical dilemma we women often face, is the decision on what to wear under your leggings. But that discussion is for another day.
If you’re planning to experiment with wearing a crop top or are looking for fresh new ways to wear it in and out of the gym, here’s some styling advice on wearing crop tops and what to wear underneath.
How to Wear Crop Tops
To wear this rather tricky garment well, make sure you keep the following tips in mind:
- Choose the best crop top level you’re most comfortable with since not all crop tops are of the same length. Some show only a bit of skin, while others look more like bras than anything else.
- As much as possible, avoid crop tops that are made from soft or flowy material. Structured, heavy fabrics tend to look better as they hold their shape.
- Make sure you can breathe comfortably while wearing a crop top. Form-fitting ones are style-appropriate for the gym or during workouts, but too-snug crop tops can be uncomfortable when worn outside.
- In case you’re the type who self-tans, make sure your face matches the colour of your midriff to look good while wearing a crop top.
- Keep things balanced by not overexposing yourself. If you wear a crop top, then avoid exposing your cleavage, back, bottoms and other similar areas.
- Stay poised and maintain a neutral posture. Slouching can lead to temporary folds, rolls and all sorts of unflattering angles, courtesy of your crop top style.
- If you want to look and feel great wearing a crop top, schedule some de-bloat sessions (avoid high-sodium foods) or do some tummy-toning exercises to keep your stomach area flat and trim. However, if you couldn’t care less about how you look while wearing a crop top with a bit of flab, then by all means, wear one and have fun.
How to Choose a Crop Top that’s Right for You
The right crop top for you should be comfortable, and that’s it. No matter how fancy your crop top is, the only way to wear it is to do so with gusto.
However, if you’re looking for style pointers you could use, here are a couple for your consideration:
- Length: Crop tops come in varying lengths. There are crop tops that look a lot like bras, some that fall just above the tummy, others that skim the navel region and ones that barely show any skin – just a tad shorter than a regular shirt. Choosing the length of the crop top you want depends mostly on your comfort level, so go with the one you’ll happily wear anywhere.
- Fit (tight or loose): It’s important for you to be comfortable enough to breathe and move freely, even if you’re wearing a form-fitting crop top. Loose crop tops tend to be more comfortable, but choosing one over the other also depends on the bottom you’re matching it with. The tighter your top, the looser the bottom should ideally be. The opposite is also true if you’re wearing a loose crop top.
- Colour: Since crop tops are usually on trend during summer, opt for light colours like white, yellow or pastels. But if you’re up for wearing fiery or dark colours, no one’s going to stop you.
- Material: As previously mentioned, crop tops made from thicker structured fabrics hold their form well. However, there are also flowy casual crop tops that look great. Gym or workout crop tops are usually made from synthetic performance clothing material that’s moisture-wicking or quick-drying.
- Occasion: Although the crop top was a staple workout attire in the 1980s, it’s a versatile garment that can be worn at the beach, parties, dinner dates, casual days out with the girls and so on.
What Do You Wear Under a Crop Top?
Although it was considered fashionable to wear regular shirts or even sweatshirts underneath workout crop tops back in the ‘80s, there’s really no need to these days.
Sports crop tops are form-fitting, moisture-wicking and made from high-quality performance fabric that’s made to stay in place. There’s also no need to wear a separate sports bra as workout crop tops already feature built-in padding material or inserts.
However, if you’re wearing a loose or relaxed crop top tee, you’ll definitely need some extra support, so wear a bra underneath.
Do You Need to Wear a Sports Bra Under a Crop Top?
Wondering about what bra to wear under a crop top? The truth is, you may not even need to – especially if you’re wearing a sports crop top.
But if your crop top is loose and you’ll be working out, then it would be a good idea to wear a sports bra for proper support. Of course, you can also opt to wear a sports bra alone as there are plenty of fashionable sports bras today that’ll do just as well as sports crop tops.
Here are five comfortable and attractive sports bras you can wear by themselves or with a loose crop top:
What Bra Do You Wear with a Crop Top?
If you want to know what bra to wear under crop top, the important criteria here are that it provides the necessary support, is comfortable and stays in place so it’s not visible with your crop top.
A crop top bra would be just like any other bra, but you don’t want one that’s too tight and can cause unsightly bulges in your crop top. And as mentioned earlier, you’ll only need a crop top sports bra if your workout top is loose.
Anyway, whatever your size or body shape, there are all sorts of bras available, including plus-size crop top bras and lace crop top bras.
Tips on How to Wear a Crop Top Without Showing Any Skin
Are crop tops immodest? Our quick answer is: No.
But you don’t need to wear crop tops with bare skin if it’s not your thing.
Besides, it’s not difficult to master the ways on how to wear crop tops without showing skin. If you’re a tad old-fashioned or a bit shy about going all out, there are simple ways on how to wear a crop top modestly.