If you’re used to wearing conventional sports leggings or yoga pants to your workouts, getting accustomed to compression leggings might take some time. But for those who’ve been wearing compression leggings in Australia for quite a while, there’s nothing quite like them. This is especially true if you usually engage in hard or intense workouts, like marathons.
Compression leggings for women and men work to reduce muscle fatigue – something sorely needed for athletic activities that take their toll on the legs. These include high-impact training like running, cycling, high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and even certain types of Pilates or yoga workouts.
So, if you’re looking to venture into compression leggings territory, this is your guide to the 18 best compression leggings in Australia this 2022.
What Are Compression Leggings Used For?
Based on the introduction, you might assume that only athletes, gymgoers and people actively engaged in sports use compression leggings. This isn’t true.
So, what are compression leggings used for? What’s the purpose of compression leggings?
There are two primary purposes compression garments serve: therapeutic and supportive. This includes all types of compression gear like socks, shorts, sleeves and leggings.
Therapeutic compression leggings are meant to be worn during workouts or when you’re active. You should wear supportive compression leggings when you’re less active, like when you’re resting, working from home or shopping. You can also wear compression sculpting leggings for support while recovering from an injury or when you’re on a long flight.
Even elderly people that have problems with circulation, nerve pain or muscle weakness can benefit from compression wear. This is why seniors are sometimes prescribed to wear compression pants, socks, or leggings.
If you need to wear compression gear for medical reasons, it should ideally be based on your physician’s recommendation, including what garments you should wear and for how long.
➜ You might also be interested in reading this most comprehensive compression wear guide.
Benefits of Compression Leggings
What are the benefits of compression leggings?
If you want workout tights or leggings that fit snugly, are squat-proof (no camel toe peeking, too) or stay in place, then compression leggings are your best bet. However, compression leggings provide other more compelling benefits beyond simply staying put.
- Help with muscle support and recovery: Compression leggings provide support and help stabilize your muscles as you train, thereby preventing muscle fatigue. They do so by absorbing some of the pressure or strain as you squeeze your muscles. This benefit is especially significant in relation to prolonged and repetitive exercises. As a result, muscle recovery after training is usually faster.
- Ensure better blood circulation: Compression leggings aid in increasing blood flow from the legs to the heart – a crucial factor during exercise. Efficient blood circulation can help in giving your muscles the boost they need, especially when you are out cycling or running. This reduces the stress on your legs, so you experience less cramping and fatigue. The increase in blood flow and muscle oxygenation also work together to hasten the muscle repair process. But even if you’re not exercising, it’s important to keep blood flowing to prevent swelling in the feet and ankles, especially during prolonged sitting or standing.
- Reduce muscle soreness: Compression gear helps to reduce inflammation and in the drainage of lactic acid built up during exercise in the lymphatic system. This means you’ll be feeling less sore the next day. You’re also less likely to suffer from severe delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).
- Control muscle vibration: During exercise, vibrations in the soft tissue occur. When you wear compressive garments, you can effectively reduce those vibrations and improve performance.
- Improve balance: Compression leggings can help you hold a difficult pose during yoga (or Pilates) by boosting your proprioceptive function (this aids in attaining stability and balance). The compression works by stimulating your sensory receptors, thereby helping increase your awareness and ability to stay upright, whilst also decreasing postural sway.
- Ensure running economy: This is good news if you are an avid runner is that wearing compressive garments is said to improve oxygen consumption during running.
- Regulate body temperature: Compression leggings help with thermoregulation. They work by wicking away sweat from the garment and help keep the skin dry as well.
- Add stability: Compression leggings aid in reducing the impacts of acceleration by providing stability and compression to the quadriceps and hamstrings.
Based on the aforementioned benefits, there are many reasons why wearing compression leggings (and compression gear in general) is beneficial, both for general supportive and specific therapeutic use. Athletes, gym buffs, elderly people and those with circulation problems can all benefit from wearing compression gear, like leggings, socks, sleeves, shorts or pants.
Top 18 Compression Leggings in Australia
Now, you’ve finally arrived at the section where we discuss the best compression leggings available in Australia. We’ve grouped the best compression gym leggings into subcategories and also talk about maternity and postpartum compression tights for mums-to-be.
Best Sports Compression Leggings
Genuine sports compression leggings offer more compression further from the heart to improve the circulation of oxygen in the blood. Athletic compression leggings are also designed to support muscle movements and reduce vibrations, thereby reducing muscle fatigue and soreness. The best compression training leggings aid in muscle recovery and may also boost performance.
Nike Therma Pro Leggings
These compression tights regulate your body temperature to keep you warm, but dry during cold weather sports activities and provide optimum comfort and compression levels.
Skins Series 1 – Women’s 7/8 Tights – Sky Blue
The SKINS Series-1 Women’s 7/8 compression leggings are designed to provide maximum compression and help boost your performance in running, track and field, ice hockey, dynamic yoga, Pilates and more.
Best Compression Yoga Pants
The best compression yoga pants are stretchable and snug, yet don’t restrict your ability to move. They can reduce excess motion or muscle vibration, so they also improve energy consumption and reduce your risk of injury.
Best High-Waisted Compression Leggings
For maximum coverage and support, nothing beats squat-proof, high-waisted compression leggings, just like the ones listed below.
Vie Active Rockell 7/8 Legging
The Vie Active Rockell 7/8 Compression Legging features a mid-rise, tummy-trimming waistband that stays in place whatever your workout.
Vie Active Lili 3/4 Legging
These true-blue high-waisted compression leggings by Vie Active feature a high, stomach-trimming waistband that stays put however you move.
Best Women’s Plus Size Compression Tights
The best plus-size anti-cellulite compression leggings smoothen and tighten unsightly or uneven bulges to keep you looking toned and smooth where it counts. Also, women’s plus-size compression tights are snug without feeling restrictive and offer seamless compression support to boost blood circulation and reduce inflammation.
Rainbeau Curves Curve Basix Compression Legging Tall
The Curve Basix Compression Leggings are beautifully contoured to accommodate the unique shapes of plus-size women and have built-in compression features.
Lowanna Active Sculpt Tights
Looking for high-performance plus-size compression pants for running and other athletic activities? Lowanna Active Sculpt Tights offer the ultimate in lift, comfort and compression.
Anti-Cellulite Compression Leggings
Anti-cellulite compression leggings tone and smoothen, so there are no visible bulges anywhere as you start firming up workout after workout.
LaSculpte Shapewear Compression Leggings
These figure-hugging leggings shape your tummy, waist and thigh area for a flattering look. They feature convenient phone pockets and keep you comfortably cool whatever you’re training for.
Deezi Active Cheekiest of Charlie’s
The Deezi Active Cheekiest of Charlie’s anti-cellulite compression high-waist slim leggings are designed to lift your butt and smoothen your waistline.
Supacore Patented Jacinda Women’s Coretech® Compression Leggings
If you need medical-grade compression, these Patented Jacinda Women’s Coretech® Injury Recovery and Postpartum Compression Leggings by Supa Core are hard to beat.
Best Maternity Compression Tights
Expectant mums need the best maternity compression tights to help them support the added weight in their abdominal area. Maternity compression leggings help improve circulation and prevent pain and swelling in the legs.
Queen Bee Preggers – Compression Footless Tights
For the best maternity graduated compression leggings, Queen Bee Preggers – Compression Footless Tights have all the features you need: stylish, comfortable and supportive.
Best Postpartum Compression Tights and Recovery Leggings
After delivery, the area around the stomach tends to become loose and flabby. This is why you’ll need the support and comfort offered by postpartum compression tights. These maternity recovery tights can help you with smoothing problem areas as you recover from childbirth and work toward toning your body through exercise and proper nutrition.
Supacore Patented Michelle Women’s Coretech® Injury Recovery and Postpartum Compression Leggings
These Supa Core Patented Coretech® Injury Recovery and Postpartum Compression Leggings help to hasten post-pregnancy recovery and provide a high level of compression.
Supacore Patented Vixen Women’s Coretech®Postpartum Recovery 7/8 Legging
Supacore’s Patented Vixen Women’s Coretech®Postpartum Recovery 7/8 Legging provides a high level of medical-grade compression essential to your post-natal recovery.
How to Find Compression Leggings That are Right for You
Like most things, compression leggings are not created equal.
So, to ensure you find the right compression leggings, make sure to consider the following key features:
- Right size: It’s normal for compression leggings to have a tighter fit than regular leggings. Don’t be tempted to go up a size as this will reduce the compressive benefits of the leggings.
- Comfortable: Just because compression leggings tend to fit more snugly than conventional bottoms, it doesn’t mean that they should be uncomfortable to wear. However, if you’re new to wearing compression garments, start by wearing leggings that provide a lower level of compression.
- Appropriate material: The material used in compression leggings for women (or men) should ideally be lightweight, sweat-wicking, stretchy and durable.
- Squat-proof: Compression leggings must be squat-proof, i.e. not see-through and stay in place no matter the moves you make. For working out, look for mid- to high-rise options.
- Moisture-wicking: Moisture-wicking fabrics draw away sweat from the body so you stay comfortable even while exercising.
- Antibacterial: To help control odour, it’s best to stick with fabrics that have antibacterial or antimicrobial properties.
- Breathable: Breathable fabrics help the body better regulate temperature during and immediately after exercise.
- Washable: Some compression leggings are easier to wash than others. Look for ones that can keep their appearance and shape even after washing. Also, for best results, follow care instructions.
Shop for Your Compression Leggings Today!
You never know how incredibly supportive and comfortable compression leggings are until you try them. Find out soon by using this guide to buy the best compression leggings in Australia.